The Blessed Life

The Blessed Life

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Saying yes (and random pics of my kids)



I've been saying, "yes," to several things lately.  Like a lot of things actually.  I've started back to school with the kids, started a small group through my church, become a section leader at church on Sunday mornings, started watching one of our neighbors after school, agreed to volunteer on the steering committee for my mother's of preschoolers group, started a new business with Noonday Collection, signed up the girls for Awana's through a local church, and a few other random things here and there, not to mention I am still training for my first half marathon.

I feel busy.


But you know what, in all of those decisions, I felt peace.  I felt okay to make all of those things happen and felt like they were the right choices for me at the right time.  It doesn't mean, of course, that there aren't things that will have to change, or get altered or moved around, or maybe even some things that were previously "yes" may now be "no."


For instance, cleaning is taking a back seat.  That is super hard for me.  I really (like really) enjoy a clean house.  But right now, it isn't happening.  Instead, I am teaching the girls to help me around the house.  Not because they are so awesome at it right now but because 1.  their cleaning is better than no cleaning and 2.  eventually their clean will be the same (or close to) my clean because I spent time teaching them.

I'm also letting any form of sleep training take a back seat.  Yep, the woman who said she'd never do about a hundred things in regard to sleep and kids is now doing approximately all of those things.  And guess what?  That's okay.  Sleep is more important right now.  


You know what else I'm cutting back on.....playdates.  Gasp.  I love having friends over to play and truthfully, it wasn't like I was having a ton of them anyway.  However, for the moment, I am being more selective about how I spend my time.  It doesn't mean I don't still love my friends or their kids or having them over, it is just the season.  A season of less playdates.

Guess what else that means...less internet and tv.  Less time on my phone and less time reading blogs.  I love blogs and fb and instagram, but again, I just need to use my time a little better.  I'd rather be reading one of the many, many books that are on my "must read" list or doing something fun with my kiddos.


I don't mind being busy, but I do not like being overwhelmed.  Turning some things into "no's" whether permanently or for a season is how I feel I'm going to stay sane.  My kids won't always eat this many sandwiches, my house won't always be this dirty, my plate won't always be this full.  For now, I'm embracing the things I've taken on and trying not to be too sad about the things I've let go.  

I'm keeping the most important things as the most important things and not worrying about the rest.  

What are some ways you stay calm during seasons of lots of commitments?  Any tips for this momma?

1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you for putting the cleaning down ;}
    Your girls will be much better cleaners than mine...I am okay with that though, we all have our strengths. I need to work on not yelling as much...well, raising my voice is more like it. I need to be more consistent with them obeying the first time. Too much stuff, too little time. I just yawned as I typed that. Goodnight friend, love you.

    ReplyDelete