The Blessed Life

The Blessed Life

Monday, March 11, 2013

Running

So, I've been running.  Not like super far or anything, but still, running.  And the thing of it is, I think I am going to keep running.  Crazy, right?

It started with the Hot Chocolate Run, a 5k, in Dallas with my sister and my niece. I had started running to prepare for the OSU Scrub Run 5k, so I just accelerated my training to be able to run the Hot Chocolate Run.

After the Hot Chocolate Run with our scrumptious hot chocolate and chocolate fondue.

The Hot Chocolate Run was awesome and when I finished I realized it hadn't been as hard as I imagined it being.  My last 5K was terrible, but this one wasn't bad at all.  I was actually looking forward to the OSU 5k after this because of how easy the Hot Chocolate run was.

The OSU Scrub Run was two weekends ago and it went pretty well.  I finished faster than the HC run and I felt pretty good afterward again.  Jason ran it too and of course, finished faster than me despite not really training that long!

J and I before the OSU Scrub Run

Now, the thing is, I realized that if I don't have a race that I am preparing for, I don't really stay motivated to run.  So, after thinking long and hard about it, I decided to run the Aquarium Run 10k in April.  I have started training to run farther than I ever have before and while I am still slow, I at least feel like I will be able to finish the race.  After that, I think a half marathon.  The Jenks Half Marathon is in November and gives me plenty of time to train.

Some days I think I am stupid and delusional to have set out to run a half or even a 10K, but then when I get on the scale or when I get done with a run where I went faster or farther than I have before, I think differently.

Running for me, has been an interesting journey.  Every year I run a 5k but never dream of doing more.  I don't know why this time I decided to keep going, but so far I am glad I did!

3 comments:

  1. I think that is awesome :) Well done!! I'm not a runner, but I love to bike. Looking forward to getting my bike back on the road with the nicer weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just have to say...i'm SUPER impressed! i can't run cuz it makes me knees sting:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to do great! Just one mile at a time... and then bam. You've finished 6.

    ReplyDelete