The Blessed Life

The Blessed Life

Monday, September 20, 2010

Parenthood

There is something indescribable that happens to a person when they become a parent.  You feel a love you never knew, gain a patience you didn't know you could have, and you develop a tolerance for smells that would kill normal people.  Seriously though, becoming a parent is pretty life changing.  And when Jason and I had Isabelle, life as we knew it was over.  One look at her and we were both totally and completely in love.

When I got pregnant for the second time lots of people talked to me about the awesomeness of love and a parent's ability to love a second child just as much as your first.  I said multiple times that I was not worried about that at all.  Sure, I was worried I would not think Molly was as cute, but I was not worried about love.  And I don't think I was, but I certainly wasn't prepared for how amazing the love for your second child could be.

Lately I have been struck over and over with the miracle that is my love for Molly.  Parents of only one child do not understand the amazing gift that is baby #2.  The overwhelming love and tenderness you felt for the first baby is not simply multiplied by two, but seems to be multiplied by 100.  Looking at Molly I can't believe that the love I felt for Isabelle could be so easily duplicated (and yet totally different and wonderful) with another child.  And don't get me started on what happens to my heart when those two are together.  Seeing Isabelle give Molly a hug and kiss or seeing Molly smile while Isabelle runs circles around her is too precious.

Isabelle is such a great daughter.  When I look at her, I melt.  Sometimes she drives me crazy and sometimes there are days I dream of a nice long vacation, but she is still my punky girl.  Molly is amazing also.  There is something so unique and so different from Isabelle about her.  Molly has taken my heart to places I didn't know it could go.  Somewhere I can only imagine you can relate to if you have had more than one child.  Just to realize that God has given us such a great capacity to love and then to realize how poor our love is compared to His. 

I am so blessed with my two daughters.  I am blessed to stay home and blessed to have my husband support our family.  Becoming a mom is the greatest thing I have ever done and I think one of these days I might find out if the same holds true for #3.  (NOT NOW, just one day!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment