The Blessed Life

The Blessed Life

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Friday Five-On a Saturday

I really meant to post this yesterday.  But I didn't, so here it is today!

Friday Five-Books Edition

I have been reading more this year than I have in probably the last three years combined.  It is pretty awesome, being able to read more.  Turns out once you drop cable tv you have much more time on your hands!!!  So here are the last five-ish books I have read!

1.  The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay:  Yes, I realize the first is actually three books, not one.  If you haven't heard of this series, it is probably because it is more young adult than adult reading.  I first heard of these books from my step-mom who is a fifth grade teacher.  I really don't know if I should recommend these books or not.  While they kept me reading (I finished each in less than a day), and I was pleased with the ending, you should know that you are reading books that are centered around kids killing kids.  Seems a little crazy to tell someone to read a book about that.  So I won't tell you to read them, I will tell you that if you are looking for a series of books to keep you engaged, these three will do the job.  And, in case you were wondering, Hunger Games is being made into a movie that will be released March of 2012.  I haven't decided if I will see it or not.

2.  Bringing Up Girls.  This is a James Dobson book, a follow up if you will to his book, Bringing Up Boys.  I was very excited to read this considering I am currently raising two daughters.  This was a very informative book, and mostly confirmed what I already knew to be true about raising girls.  A must read for fathers who are raising daughters.  Turns out that in parenting, dads play a pretty major role.  I knew that already, but this book put things into perspective. 

3.  Same Kind of Different As Me.  Great. Book.  This is a true story about two people who become friends despite their overwhelming differences and backgrounds.  I couldn't put this one down either.  After reading this book I had a new perspective on homelessness and how God calls us to love our neighbor as ourselves.

4. Her Mother's Hope and Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers.   I have been on a Francine Rivers kick this year.  I think I have read all but two of her books.  This was not my favorite series of hers, but it was good.  If you are looking for good, Christian, fiction, look no farther than Francine Rivers.  Don't be intimidated by the size of these books, they are pretty quick reads as well. 

5.  Power Thoughts.  This is a Joyce Meyer book and a feel a little like I am cheating by putting it on the list.  I haven't actually finished this book, but am about half-way through.  It is an outstanding book and even though I am not done, I would recommend it.  If you are looking for a book that will help you align your thoughts with what the Bible says about you and your life,  this is the book for you.  You really can't go wrong with Joyce Meyer can you?

So there they are, the last five-ish books that I have read or mostly read.  What are you reading?  I need a new book, any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I loved "Same Kind of Different As Me" too. Such a good read. Jodi Picoult rocks my world every time I read one of hers (My Sister's Keeper author). I love them ALL. Also, you must read "Heaven is For Real". Sigh.

    ReplyDelete