The Blessed Life

The Blessed Life

Monday, January 9, 2012

The New Room-Part 1

I think I have mentioned before that the girls are going to have to share a room since we are adding a baby brother to the mix.  There is so much to say and pictures to show on this topic, I have decided to break it up into a few different posts.  Today, the beds and the color choices!

The idea for the beds actually came from my friend Jessica who had shown them on her blog.  When I saw them, I knew that I wanted something similar.  However, I thought we would just buy them!  Here is a picture of the beds from potterybarn.

From pottery barn these beds start at about $1800 (of course not including shipping!).


Jessica had found the plans to build them on a website (ana-white.com) and after seeing the price on pottery barn, it seemed like building them was the way to go.  Here is the pic from Ana's website.


Jason was pretty confident he could build them and so during his Thanksgiving break, he and his dad got started.  I am not going to say that it was as easy as some of the people on Ana's blog have said it is, because well, I don't think it was.  That could be mostly due to the fact that Jason is somewhat of a perfectionist, or it could be that the people building them did not have children or other obligations to take care of and so they could work uninterrupted.  Needless to say, it took us a little longer than the blog said it would!

Our color scheme (before I show you the beds) was based a little off of pinterest.......



and a little off of the girls pink kitchen.  Either way, I was loving the pink and aqua.  I also wanted something that would work with the rainbow bedding I had already picked out and purchased.

So....here (before total room assembly) are a couple of pics of the new beds in the new room.


obviously both girls now have mattresses with the rainbow bedding!

I realize that it is hard to tell that the walls are aqua in these iphone photos.  I hope that once we are totally done with the room and take better pics, it will show up more aqua.

I think the girls like their new beds.  We haven't got the room organized like I would like it yet, but we have been a little busy!!  We are looking for some baskets to go in the little cubby holes and we are trying to figure out exactly what to put up on the corner unit since for now all the girls want to do is climb on it!  We also need some decorations for the walls, which I am working on. 

I am very happy with the beds and thankful for the hard work my hubs and his dad put into them.  We spent significantly less than what we would have buying them from potterybarn (like less than 1/2), and they are pink, which I love!

Here are the links for the corner unit and the beds on ana-white.com.

beds
corner unit

The girls are having a little difficulty adjusting to sleeping in the same room, but that is another post for another day.  Jason is now working on another diy project, a dresser.  We found a dresser for the girls on craigslist, but the paint had to be stripped off and then it had to be sanded, and finally we are painting it pink also.  I will post pics when I have them!

5 comments:

  1. Nice work, Jason! Looks so cool - the girls will love it all (eventually!). How's the nursery coming along?? What's the plan for his room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them! Great job Jason! I love that color scheme too, can't wait to see the room all finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - these came out awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, gals! i passed on the compliments to jason. erin, the plan for the nursery is a jungle theme....however, we are not painting or doing anything crazy like that...just new bedding. rochelle, the room still needs curtains and something on the walls!!! plus, the dresser needs to be painted (this week) so still some work to do. aurie, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good job jason and tracy. great colors and those two models you used as the girls are the most precious little girls i have seen since two others , lauren and caitlin. i know it was hard work, but it could not have been done better! great job son-in-law! glad it was your dad and not tracy's 2 left handed dad.

    ReplyDelete