The Blessed Life

The Blessed Life

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Money Saving Wednesday....Diapers

So if you are not currently raising babies, this post may not be for you.  BUT, if you are then welcome to a great way to save some cash on diapers.  Diapers are not cheap.  In fact I am pretty sure that my brother has decided to skip children all together after learning how much we spend on diapers per month.  However, the only alternative cheaper than disposable diapers, cloth diapers, is disgusting.  Who wants to rinse dirty diapers out or keep them in a diaper pail and have to put that stinky mess in your washing machine???  Yes, I know our parents did it, but it was gross then and it is gross now.  So, it is important to know how to save money.  You can go the route of generic, but I have found the true cost of those outweighs name brand.  Usually they are not as absorbent and usually they leak leading to time spent cleaning up a wet or even more fun, a dirty child.  So if name brand is your choice, here are a few easy ways to save money.

First, I believe Babies R Us is the best place to buy diapers.  I only buy the big value packs and I only go when they are having a sale.  Pretty frequently they will have a sale where if you buy two value boxes of diapers, they will give you a $10-15 gift card for your next purchase.  Since I always wait for these sales, I always get a gift card!  On top of that, Babies R Us will mail out coupons for discounts on diapers that can be used with the gift card offer.  To make matters even better you can also use manufacturer's coupons on the same purchase.  Pampers almost always has a coupon for $2 off diapers in the Sunday paper and you can use two of those (one for each box) at the same time.  So on my last diaper purchase, each box was $41.99, but I had a $5 Babies R Us coupon that they applied to each box, making each one $36.99.  Then I used a manufacturer's coupon on each box for $1.50 off, bringing the diapers to $35.49 per box.  Now here is the next best part.  I had a $10 gift card from the previous Babies R Us diapers that I used, bringing my total for two boxes of diapers to $60.98.  Here is the bonus.  I bought the diapers during a buy two boxes and get a $15 gift card offer, so now I have a $15 gift card for my next purchase.  If getting $23 off diapers plus a gift card for the next purchase isn't enough, at Babies R Us when you buy 8 value boxes of diapers you get a 9th one free!  Quite the bargain. 

While Target, Walmart and Sam's might have diapers on sale, I have calculated the cost per diaper over and over and each time, Babies R Us comes out the winner.  You do need to be sure to use coupons, go during sales and buy the biggest boxes.

As an added  bonus, I also take advantage of the pampers rewards program.  Log on to pampers.com to enter your reward codes that are found on packages of diapers and wipes and you can earn rewards such as magazine subscriptions, free pictures from shutterfly.com, toys for your kids or even spa products!

Hope this helps you or someone you know save a few dollars!  See you next week for another idea on how to keep some of your hard earned money in your pocket!

No comments:

Post a Comment